I have created another blog to give updates on my writing efforts. You can find it here.

October 4, 2008

In which we saw a great concert

Sage is visiting this weekend and it was a beautiful day today so we decided to go to Riverside Park and play. We got there about 5:30 and saw that they were setting up for a concert. We did some checking and found out that today was the last concert in their free summer concert series. On the spur of the moment we decided to stay and check it out. I went home and got chairs and snacks and we wound up thoroughly enjoying ourselves.

The artist was Michelle Malone. She's been a fixture on the Atlanta music scene since the late 1980's, collaborating over the years with artists like Indigo Girls, Shawn Mullins, and Kristen Hall (who was one of the founders of Sugarland). She has a definite blues vibe, from the Janis Joplin/Melissa Etheridge school with some Bonnie Raitt and Sheryl Crow thrown in now and then. I wasn't familiar with her music, but I've heard of her many times over the years so I was excited to get to see her.

The girls went up by the stage and spent most of the night dancing. Darlene, Sabrina, Gracie and I hung out at the chairs. I spent my time butt-dancing and Gracie went to sleep in Darlene's lap. During the intermission I purchased Malone's newest CD, Sugarfoot. She was at the merchandise table so I was able to get it autographed. The second half of the show featured the original members of her early 1990's band Drag The River and they played several songs from their 1990 album. It was a fantastic show.



I would definitely recommend Malone's music to anyone who likes blues guitar and an honest delivery. I came home and immediately signed up for her e-mail list. I'd pay to see her again. Her website is here and features sound clips. Good stuff. I'm glad we went to the park this afternoon.

No comments: