I have created another blog to give updates on my writing efforts. You can find it here.

February 3, 2006

"...a dweem wiffin a dweem..."

I'm getting married ten weeks from tomorrow. In fact, as I begin writing this, 71 days from this exact moment I will be ten minutes away from an event that will change my life forever. It's going to be a busy 71 days, too. Between the two of us we have to figure out how to get her kids enrolled in school here, move them down here, get new clothes for the wedding, make sure everyone is happy and healthy, plan the ceremony, decide what to do afterward, talk to each other at least twice a day, and say "I love you" to each other at least 1,400 times. About the only thing we're not doing between now and April 15 is framing Guilder for anything. We're swamped. We're loving it, too. It's definitely a good swamp to be in.

I'm going to have three new kids in my (our!) home, not to mention a wife, and that's way cool. I've been by myself for much too long. I'm ready to be a family man. It's a little scary sometimes--I've lived by myself for most of the last 14 years. I'm going to have to get used to sharing closets and bathrooms and a bed and the TV and all the other things that having a family entails. I also get afraid sometimes, that I'm not going to know what to do as a dad or as a husband in certain situations. That worries me. I don't want to mess up. I'm sure I'm not the first husband/dad-to-be who has worried about that, though. I'll learn about my family, and they'll learn about me. Yeah, it's scary, but it's going to be good.

As I finish writing this, 71 days from this very moment we'll be at the altar, crying our eyes out. If you guys are reading this, I love you, and I can't wait until we can be together all the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baby we say I love you more than 1,400 times a day. The last hour on the phone every night is I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love ..............

Wanda Yang Temko said...

Healthy fear is a good thing. It will keep you from taking things for granted. May I suggest that you guys celebrate monthly anniversaries? In the midst of adjusting to a new way of life, regular date nights are crucial. Here's to Tax Day!!!